Recently a friend of mine scored a reservation at a semi-new addition to Randoph’s restaurant row, Won Fun, a restaurant/cocktail lounge featuring Chinese food from the Sichuan province. The space displays handmade Chinese silk lanterns and the upstairs becomes a karaoke lounge at night with a quick service counter selling to-go snack versions of the menu, very cool concept.
We started the night off with Lychee-Rose martinis that were not overly sweet and very refreshing, and the Prawn Spring Rolls and Sesame Cabbage Salad. The menu works best as shareable plates which I love. The Sesame Salad tossed in a ginger vinaigrette packed with flavor was probably the most surprisingly delish dish of the night.
We also tried the Dan Dan Noodles, Kung Pao Chicken, Cracked Rice Short Ribs, and a side of green beans. The stand out dish to me was the melt in your mouth short ribs, they had great Asian flavor.
We split a desert that my friend dubbed “Ariel’s house”, based on the presentation of it looking like a cave in a shell. It was taro-root flavored ice with fruit, mochi, and coconut jelly – lots of textures going on.
Overall it was a great pick for a girls night. I felt the price was similar to most restaurants in the Fulton Market area, we ate and drank ’til our hearts content for around $60 a head. The overall vibe and cuisine reminded me a lot of Duck Duck Goat, also in the Fulton area. I think my next visit will include experiencing the upstairs karaoke lounge and trying some of the Sichuan snacks.
Hooray for Friday and the temps reaching 75 today! Although we are nearing the end of March here in Chicago, most days have been quite chilly around these parts. No complaints here though – I will take a mild winter like this any year. These spring jacket picks get me excited to ditch my puffer coat and opt for something lighter. They are neutral enough to pair with any outfit and can be easily dressed up or down. Have a great weekend everyone!
Nothing perks up a Monday night like some Spotify acoustic covers, a good glass of red, surprise just because hydrangeas, and a delicious pasta recipe packed with flavor.
This recipe comes together very easily and nicely. Whenever possible, we opt to throw chicken on the grill because its always just a liiiiittle better with that grilled flavor. Note: I am not a food photographer and this is not the world’s healthiest recipe, but you will find it isn’t dripping in sauce and you can really use as much chopped asparagus as you want to pack some nutrients in there. Everything in moderation.
Grilled Chicken Pasta with Asparagus and Sun Dried Tomatoes
adapted from Life in the Lofthouse
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1-inch cubes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces Penne pasta
- 1 small jar (4 oz.) sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 1 cup chopped asparagus
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray. Add cubed chicken to skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until chicken is no longer pink in center. You can also throw the chicken on the grill if you prefer that flavor.
- Boil Penne pasta in a large pot of water until cooked. Drain water.
- Cut sun-dried tomatoes into bite-size pieces. Add tomatoes in oil to skillet with the garlic and chopped asparagus. Cook and stir mixture for a couple minutes, do not let garlic burn.
- Add half and half and the Mozzarella cheese to skillet. Stir to combine and let mixture come to a slight boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer until cheese melts and a creamy sauce forms. Add salt to taste.
- Pour drained pasta and cooked chicken into the skillet then add the basil and crushed red pepper flakes. Carefully stir to combine everything. Simmer 5 more minutes to heat through.
Happy Spring! Today I bring you another edition of Splurge vs. Savvy, the neutral heeled sandal.
Dolce Vita Luci Lace up Heels $150.00
B.P. Decker Lace up Sandal $49.90
I wore these with this dress on a recent trip to Arizona for the first time and they were easy to pack and not too tall to walk around in comfortably. Get them while you can!
Happy Monday everyone!